The Burden of Screen Captures

Subject: The Burden of Screen Captures
From: "Broberg, Mats" <mats -dot- broberg -at- flir -dot- se>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:24:07 +0100

Dear listmembers,

I am documenting image analysis solutions for infrared images and high-speed
video recordings. These softwares are quite complex and each manual requires
at least 30-40 screen captures in the reference section of the manual to
explain all menus and dialog boxes in detail. Each manual will also be
translated to up to 10 languages, which means that I will need to carry out
approx. 600-1200 screen captures in total (all translations included). I am
not looking forward to it.

Two questions:

1. Is there an easier way to do this, one that I am overlooking? I can't
imagine that Adobe or Microsoft or any other large software company have 10
persons sitting in a room all day doing screen captures for their manuals,
in 25 different languages?

2. If there is no easier way, does anyone know if there is there a screen
capturing software around that creates an autonumber when you save the
image? That would save me some time, since I save all image files (and
document files) with a prefix + a sequential number.

Any input is appreciated!

Best regards,
Mats Broberg
Technical Documentation Manager