RE: Virgin at Cross Referencing, have never "Xref'd"

Subject: RE: Virgin at Cross Referencing, have never "Xref'd"
From: "Oja, Kelly" <Kelly -dot- Oja -at- Kingland -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:39:06 -0600

Daniel,

I hear ya, I have been working on a slightly smaller document. I am not
sure if I understand what you're asking, but I do not believe any software
will perform the automatic updates unless you are removing the field entry,
and even then you have to update the TOC and Index fields.
I have found cross referencing to be a challenge myself, because making the
decision of what the audience needs, or how they will be looking for it has
produced numerous Q&A sessions with me and the rest of the team.
Again, I am not sure if this helps, but in the index, I have the name of the
table/graphic and then I have (table) of (graphic) in the index to assist
the reader.
Does this help? Feel free to e-mail directly if you wish.

Kelly

Overview:
300 page system manual with
Basic TOC (simply chap. name & no.)
Appendices
Glossary
Many figures and tables in each of 23 chapters with text references to
figure or table 12-2 or 13-8 whatever.
Change page at beginning delineating pages with changes since last
printing.
Nowhere does it say see such-and-such on page X, I only say "as fig. 14-9
shows" or "see table 19-12" etc.

Would one goal be, that if the figure numbers change (added or deleted
figures) then the text reference automatically reflects this?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com