Re: PDF Files

Subject: Re: PDF Files
From: Shlomo Perets <mtype -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:56:58 +0200

Margaret,

You wrote:

My PDF files keep getting larger and larger every time I make any changes,
such as replacing a page or even when I just "save as". Can anyone help
me? Is there a setting that I've missed?

Rewriting the PDF with Save As removes redundant information
(such as deleted pages), but may also add a relatively small amount
of information related to web optimization.

Inserting or replacing pages involves handling the data related to
fonts used in the new pages, and this is one area where you may
encounter size increases due to multiple font subsets embedded
in the same PDF.

My suggestion is not to keep maintaining the same PDF file, but to
redistill the entire PDF when needed. In my opinion, the
Insert/Replace page functions are best avoided or used only in
exceptional one-time situations, with their possible side-effects
(eg related to links) closely inspected.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker, Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com