Re: FrameMaker Vs Word

Subject: Re: FrameMaker Vs Word
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 01:00:59 -0800

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

As I said to somebody, if I could just straighten out my other (mostly self-inflicted) Linux problems,
I'd probably put in enough concentrated time with OOo to make it my new primary writing tool.

After all, I've been writing for years and have never come near using all the capabilities of Word or FrameMaker. It's the "core", bread'n'butter functions that I need and use.

/kevin

I think that OpenOffice.org is a very reasonable tool for a documenter. In its next build, it should have all that MS Word has except for a grammar checker. However, it's more stable than MS Word, and far more style-oriented. It doesn't measure up to FrameMaker yet, but its price is considerably better.

" A well-proportioned mind is one which shows no particular bias; one of which we may safely say that it will never cause its owner to be confined as a madman, tortured as a heretic, or crucified as a blasphemer. Also, on the other hand, it will never cause him to be applauded as a prophet, revered as a priest, or exalted as a king. Its usual blessings are happpiness and mediocrity."
- Thomas Hardy, "The Return of the Native"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com