Re: Placing TOC Entries into Separte Hyperlinked Table Cells to Show Links Between Processes

Subject: Re: Placing TOC Entries into Separte Hyperlinked Table Cells to Show Links Between Processes
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:16:28 -0700

Andrew Deutsch wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
> You are absolutely right, I neglected to mention that I'm working in
> Windows/Office 2000 (Word and Visio).
>
> I used X-refs before but I have hundreds of headings. I also want to
> separate the Heading number from the Heading text so that's twice that
> number of X-refs.

Well, that answers the first of my three questions. :-) I guess I'm still
unclear about the goal.

<snip> I need to build a table with hyperlinks to heading numbers and
heading text
> to show interactions between different processes in a company.
> Each Heading is a Process (Level 1-4) and is manually replicated in a
> Process Flowchart. Is there any way to automate this?

In Word, Insert > Cross-reference. Or, for more options, Insert > Field. How
does the flowchart enter into the picture? I assume it's in Visio; do you
want to link from a box on the flowchart to a heading in Word? Vice versa?
Something else?

> There must be an easier way to show links between processes automatically
> (both in a flowchart and in a process interactions table).

Well, how would Word know what to link to what? Wouldn't you have to tell
it?

If you want the _software_ to do all the work, you'll have to look at other
(and probably much more complex/expensive) tools, and I can't help much
there. I'm vaguely familiar with something called "ERwin" that creates
entity relationship diagrams, and I'm sure there are other tools along those
lines.

But, in the time it takes to research the possibilities even half-way
thoroughly, you could click Insert > Cross-reference several hundred
times... ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs