RE: FrameMaker Vs Word

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Vs Word
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 01:12:28 -0700

Hi Suraj,

To justify the value of going from FrameMaker (one of the most powerful DTP)
to MS Word (not really a DTP) can be an easy sell, since today's companies
are looking for any savings possible on software licensing costs. Licensing
can also be an issue with my employer - where most of the engineers/writers
work on Word 2000, and anything that concerns 'company image' is done with a
DTP like FrameMaker.

Try these URL's, they are pro FrameMaker articles:

Try Alex Ragen's article:
http://www.techknowledgecorp.com/public/FM-vs-Word2.pdf

and Chris King's article:
http://www.inframe-mag.com/inframe/archive/files/vol1/1-2/wordvsfm2.pdf

Also, be aware about reported problems with Word 2002, it is supposed to be
buggy. If you can, stay with Word 2000 for the time. That's what my company
has done.

Wish you all the best, in keeping FM at work.

Bruce

Suraj Jayan wrote:

>... I am told to give a presentation next week from a
> Technical Writer's point of view to convince the Top
> Guns as to why I prefer FrameMaker as a Technical
> Writer
>
> Though I am aware that FrameMaker has its definite
> advantages over Word when scripting long documents,
> all other valuable inputs from each one of you would
> be appreciated in this "Fight For Frame" presentation.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com