RE: Anyone ever heard of this book or program]

Subject: RE: Anyone ever heard of this book or program]
From: "Russ Seligman" <rseligman -at- enkata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:23:32 -0800

>BEFORE I used the service, I had the taxes all screwed up. Then I
remembered,
>I'm a writer, not a tax person. So, I hired people to do those tasks
for me.

Perfectly reasonable. My contention is that the only person you need to
hire is an accountant. Am I missing something? I personally don't see
the benefit of paying $420/year for:

>(1) to run my payroll, (2) take the $$ out of my business account, (3)
pay the taxes,
>(4) direct deposit my paycheck into my personal account, and (5) file a
report w/my
>accountant.

where (1) and (2) aren't really services, (4) is a trip to the bank, (5)
is simply providing your accountant with a tally of your income (easily
handled by Quicken or even Excel), and (3) is sending the IRS a check in
the amount told to you by your accountant.

It seems to me that all the service provides is a means to pay your
withholding taxes at the time income is received. Instead, you could
skip the service, keep your full gross pay yourself, and then once a
quarter your accountant tells you how much to send to the IRS.
(Remember, my suggestion was to skip the payroll service only if you
have a qualified accountant helping you; without an accountant, I agree
the taxes become very complicated.)

The "discipline" comes in putting something aside for taxes and not
spending your full gross pay.

Obviously each person should talk to their accountant and determine
what's best for them. But if I'm missing some more obvious benefit of a
payroll service, I'd truly like to understand what that is.

--Russ