Re: MS Visual SourceSafe & binary files

Subject: Re: MS Visual SourceSafe & binary files
From: John Root <jroot -at- publisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:03:12 -0800

On 11/13/02 7:38 AM, "Broberg, Mats" <mats -dot- broberg -at- flir -dot- se> wrote:

> Dear listmembers,
>
> Our software dept use MS Visual SourceSafe for version control of the
> software code and after having browsed the TECHWR-L archive it seems that
> some of you use this or CVS or Clearcase for version control of your
> Framemaker files and images too.
>
> Perhaps someone who uses VSS can answer these question:
>
> 1. Can you store image files that are referenced to Framemaker documents in
> VSS and still have Framemaker access them even when they are checked in?
>
> 2. If not, how do you solve the problem of checking out perhaps 50-100 image
> files when you need to work with the FM file? AFAIK there's no "batch
> checkout" function in VSS and that leaves you to checking them out one by
> one, which would be extremely timeconsuming.

Mats,

VSS has a mirror folder functionality that works nicely for handling
graphics that are linked to your Frame docs. In VSS, it's only necessary to
check out files when making changes. If you set a mirror folder for your
graphics, each time a file is modified and checked back in, an updated copy
is placed in the mirror folder. When working on a Frame project, you can
simply link to the graphics in mirror folder, or copy this folder to your
local system.

In any case, there's no reason to check out all the graphics for a project
unless you plan on making changes to the files. You only have to do a GET of
the VSS folder containing the graphics for you project.

Hope this helps.
John

John Root
Publishing Systems