Re: Improving images (not screen captures) in my PDF?

Subject: Re: Improving images (not screen captures) in my PDF?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:26:25 -0500

"Brigitte Johnston" <bjohnston -at- humantech -dot- com>

>Some background...I create the forms in Word 2000 and then create a PDF of each using Acrobat 4.0. A graphic designer scans the PDF and saves the image as a 'tif' file. I insert the tif into my Word (2000) document (the manual).

Brigitte,

That is entirely the wrong way for the graphic designer to go about it. You can do everything you need yourself with the tools at hand.

Open a form in Acrobat.

File > Export > EPS (I don't have 4.0 in front of me, so the exact menu option may be worded a bit differently, but you'll find it.)

Save an EPS of each form.

In Word, first set Distiller as your default printer (before opening your document).

Then Insert > Picture > From File and select the EPS of the form you want at that location. You may or may not be able to see the form itself in the Word doc, but you will at the very least get a rectangle the correct size (and you can resize as needed). If you have to add callouts and such and you cannot see the form, just throw them on there and adjust the positioning after you print out hard copy.

Always print the document to the Distiller printer and then print the resulting PDF when you want to check hardcopy (as opposed to sending it to some other printer, especially if you only have non-PostScript printers.

This should result in perfectly clear forms and much smaller files, because you will be printing the actual type on the forms, not a scanned image of the type.

HTH,

Dick

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com