RE: Telephony - technical terminology

Subject: RE: Telephony - technical terminology
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:46:21 -0500

John's answer sounded good. From my days with Ericsson,
I recall somebody making a distinction between the
initial handshake/call-setup versus the successful
completion.

That is, inbound and outbound might have been used
for attempts, and then incoming and outgoing were
used for those that were successfully connected.
(Sometimes attempts failed, for whatever reason,
and sometimes they were "intentionally" failed
for any number of reasons, including successful
operation of the fraud-detection protocols, or
due to customer-selected options [blocking], etc.)

Of course, my milieu was cellular, and John's may
have been landline. For that matter, I can't really
say if it was an official distinction, or just one
that a few support engineers used among themselves
within my earshot.

Hope that confused the issue. :-)

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com