RE: STC and words

Subject: RE: STC and words
From: "David Downing" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:07:03 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Plato [mailto:gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 2:36 AM
Subject: STC and words

... Communication means to convey something.

Now, you can focus on the mere act and methods of communicating. But
that's
synonymous with analyzing the value of shipping routes based on the
ships used
with no regard to what those ships haul.
So when I hear people who are supposedly masters of the English language
tell me
that content has nothing to do with communication and that STC isn't
misleading
people by virtually ignoring content - I laugh out loud at the profound,
philosophical absurdity of such nonsense.
STC is a community of people who are generally consumed with the METHODS
of
communication. Therefore, the "Society of Technical Communications" is
really the "Society of Communication Methods."

************

Andrew
I've heard you make this argument in various ways, shapes, and
forms on-list, and now feel the need to respond on-list. (And I may get
a famous on-list Andrew tongue-lashing, but hey, I haven't gotten my
turn yet.)
Now I agree that --

* Technical communication is NOT just about writing
well-crafted prose and making documents look nice. It's about knowing
the subject matter.
* STC does focus exclusively on theory and methodology and
not on content. Maybe they should change their name to the Society for
Communication Theory and Methodology.
* There is a type of rhetorical "dirty pool" that involves
deliberately ignoring a question or issue with the intent of tricking
people into thinking it's either unimportant or a total non-issue. I
have had people use this trick on me. (Examples would be too far
off-topic.)

However, I disagree with your assertion that STC is indulging in
this brand of dirty pool by ignoring content. I feel that it isn't
STC's role to address content, and that it wouldn't be practical for
them to do so. Content can be anything from "How to Assemble an M16" to
"How to Repair a Bubble-gum Machine." If STC tried to address the whole
range of topics under the umbrella of content, it would have such a wide
attempted focus that it would have no focus. Instead, the various
Societies, Guilds, Associations, etc., founded by the various
professions should deal with the content. Let the NRA deal with the
mechanics of rifles, and the National Association of Vending Machines
(if there is such an animal) deal with the mechanics of bubble-gum
machines. STC's place is to deal with the mechanics of the ACT of
communicating technical information. Now maybe they COULD make some
effort to facilitate contact with the various types of organizations I
mentioned, but other than that, it isn't really their role.

David

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com