Re: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: Re: STC Letter to the Editor
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 07:21:06 EST

Chris Winter <cpwinter -at- rahul -dot- net> wrote:

>> However, absent these, it still ought to be possible to form an opinion
>> about the document's accuracy. There are three sorts of clues: poor
>> grammar or spelling, mis-statement of basic knowledge, and lack of
>> internal consistency.

Chris, I think you're on to something. I have been doodling some notes on how
to consider accuracy in pubs judging, and independently came up with two of
these thoughts, but not all three.

One other suggestion speaks to the competitions question "Are the main points
properly stressed?" If a document belabors a common point, or defines a
common term or concept incorrectly, it may be a sign that the writer doesn't
understand it, which could bode ill for the rest of the entry. I have seen
documents that describe a feature of one program as a feature of another that
uses it; I confess I have done that myself, when I didn't understand the
feature.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com