RE: Outsourcing technical communication?

Subject: RE: Outsourcing technical communication?
From: "Marguerite Krupp" <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:20:21 -0500

Geoff Hart wondered:
<snip>
> I have to ask the obvious question: With all the unemployed
> North America (Europe too?), most of whom lost their jobs through no fault
> of their own, why not start your search domestically and expand overseas
> only if required? You'll likely have a far easier time managing
> the project,
> even if it ends up costing you a bit more in the end. Shortcuts inevitably
> lead to quality compromises, and if your market position is
> really so shaky
> you need to start cutting meat rather than luxuries, you need to be very
> alert indeed to be sure you're not creating false economies.
</snip>

And he also recommended making sure you hire an editor whose first language
is English.

I would add that the editor's first language should preferably be the form
of "English" in the country that's your primary market. Was it Churchill who
said "England and America are two countries divided by a common language"?

Having managed and otherwise participated in language discussions involving
multi-national projects, I have to say that any perceived cost savings in
content creation may well be eaten up by project coordination and management
expenses. I guess this is just echoing what Geoff said, but do tread
carefully. Be aware that people with quite literally "the best intentions in
the world" to produce high quality documentation must be very careful in
communicating among themselves and with other parts of the company if
results and costs are to measure up to expectations.

Sigh! Well, buy a large bottle of aspirin and do what you think is best.
Marguerite

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com