Re: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: Re: STC Letter to the Editor
From: "Deb Molinaro" <dm -at- ptrail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:54:51 -0500

From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
> Many companies have demo versions. Many companies give software to
reviewers.
> It seems likely to me that the STC could evaluate technical accuracy
without
> much of a problem in the community. Why shouldn't submission of software
be a
> requirement for entry into an STC competition?

Such a requirement would exclude those who document hardware. I used to
document semiconductor process equipment with a price tag of 1.1 to 2
million USD. I doubt that my former company would have sent one of those
puppies along with my manuals. I don't think the Boeing tech writers would
be permitted to send a sample either. The Navy *might* consider sending a
sub...

I'd imagine that the requirement would also exclude some folks documenting
business processes as well since it might require submitting the team and
perhaps the facility along with the procedure.

Of course, if they do make this a requirement, then I would surely volunteer
to be a judge (in case the NASA tech writers decide to enter the
competition).

Cheers,
Debbie

The Paper Trail