RE: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: RE: STC Letter to the Editor
From: Shea Michael EXT <Michael -dot- Shea -dot- extern -at- icn -dot- siemens -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:34:31 +0100

I'm coming late to this discussion but I cannot restrain myself from commenting.

Come on folks. I think we all agree that STC volunteers cannot ever judge the technical accuracy. Yes technical accuracy is important. It can be life-threateningly important when we are documenting, let's say medical equipment.

However, you can have a technically accurate book in which information:

* cannot be found (because it isn't in the index)
* is buried in minutia
* is poorly expressed
* is overlooked (because the text is poorly arranged or formatted)

These are things that STC volunteers can judge. They are also important to the task of communicating. How many of you have had frightfully intelligent teachers who put you to sleep because they lectured at their own feet or used vocabulary that was over your head? I'm sure that everything he or she said was technically accurate...but was it useful? No, because it could not be delivered in a way which could be understood!

Anybody can be technically accurate if their material gets reviewed enough. I think the true art is being technically accurate AND delivering the right information, to the right people, in an understandable manner, at the right time!

Suggesting that the competition be based on user feedback is a noble gesture, but laughable. How many writers out there ever recieved any reader feedback whatsoever. We all are aware of the poor rate of return on surveys. Besides some documents are only ever read by a handful of people.

Let's try to be realistic here folks and not quixotically charge the windmills of technical accuracy.

-Michael Shea