RE: Dumb warnings

Subject: RE: Dumb warnings
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:36:41 -0700

Dana, there is a reason for that warning. A few years back, in Vancouver,
teenagers found a new way to get high - by hanging themselves until near
un-conciseness. Guess what they used ... the looped (cloth fabric) towel
dispensers, found in both night-clubs and schools.

As hard as it is to believe, the warning is appropriate - since there were
several deaths reported (in the news) in relation to these dispensers.
Although the correct thing to do, would be to get rid of that type of towel
dispenser all-together. Which is happening, because I used to see those
units all around, now seldom do.

Also, I remember when air-bags first came out. it was reported that some
teenagers were looking for cars equipped with air-bags to steal. They would
then ram the car into a wall, in order to get a rush out of the air-bag
going off. Then there were a few teenagers in the States, who tried
(unsuccessfully) to lie down on a highway and play chicken (apparently they
saw it done 'successfully' in a movie). Now these two items might be urban
legends, since they were reported over the news wire. The hand-towel
hangings were widely covered in Canadian news outlets (both print and TV.),
which makes it more credible. Still, makes you wonder what's in the mind of
some people ... other than thinking they are invincible.

Bruce

Dana Worley:

> After a similar discussion on the list a few months ago, I suppose I
> was particularly tuned in to silly warnings. On an evening out, I
> visited the "ladies room" in a restaurant. They had one of those
> cotton towel dispensers, where you pull the clean towel downward
> and the used toweling winds back on a different roll.
>
> The warning on the towel dispenser was "Do not insert head through
> towel loop". It just cracked me up. I would have never even
> _thought_ to stick my head through the towel loop! But, hey, now
> that you've mentioned it...hmm...

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com