Symbols in product names

Subject: Symbols in product names
From: "Susan Patrick" <susan -dot- patrick -at- fti-ibis -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:30:33 -0500

Hello All,

I've got a question about writing unusual product names. When a product name
has symbols in it, do you have include the symbols in the name throughout
the user documentation?

Here's our situation:
We've got a software product name that's an acronym. Let's call it BOB,
short for Bucket Or Beachball. During the development process, someone in
Marketing discovered that there was already another, albeit unrelated,
product on the market called BOB. Our Marketing department decided to
differentiate us by writing BOB with bullets between each letter:
B<bullet>O<bullet>B. Fine for them, but now we're writing user documentation
and typing in all these bullets is becoming a pain, not to mention a
conversion nightmare. We are now embroiled in an interdepartmental debate
over whether the bullets are necessary within the user docs. Which do you
believe is correct?

a) Write the product name B<bullet>O<bullet>B every time, as Marketing
insists.
b) Write the product name B<bullet>O<bullet>B on its first appearance in
each book, then switch to BOB.
c) Write the product name BOB throughout each book, and leave the bullets in
the cover logo graphic only.
d) Something entirely different.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Susan Patrick
susan -dot- patrick -at- fti-ibis -dot- com
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com