RE: wording for training materials

Subject: RE: wording for training materials
From: "Nancy Kaminski" <nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:18:24 -0500

> 1. I expect that a writer, whether a junior or a senior,
> should be able to
> make all the editing changes marked on a document without
> missing several.
> Is this really too much to expect?

I don't think so.

> 2. For those of you who have an editor (or are the editor), how many
> editing passes typically occur? Does the editor typically
> perform a final
> pass on each doc before it is published? Is the editor
> expected to sign
> off on each doc before it is published?

I typically go through two editing passes. The senior editor gives me
the okay that he considers the book is finalized.

> 3. Also for those of you who have an editor, is the editor's
> role clearly
> defined? In other words, is it clearly stated that the editor
> has final
> say on editing issues, and that writers must adhere to the editor's
> corrections?

Yes, that's the case for me. I work on a contract basis several times a
year for a technical publishing house, and the senior editor, my boss,
has final say, although I have discussed changes with him on numerous
occasions. He is reasonable and often he listens and implements my
opinion.

> 4. Others have stated that writers who deliberately ignore changes
> requested by the editor should be reprimanded. (Note: this
> action has been
> recommended when the editor is the manager, or when it is clearly
> understood that the editor has final say.) How is this
> typically handled
> in your group? Does the editor/manager pull the writer aside
> and say "hey,
> Joe, you need to start making those editorial changes"? Is
> the writer's
> work then carefully monitored for the next few projects? How *do* you
> handle this without crossing the line into dictatorship?

I really can't say anything on this. However, I never ignore an
editorial comment, although I will question it if I'm confused or
disagree with it. Since we go through two editing passes the senior
editor always knows if I've missed a markup (possible sometimes when a
book is over 600 pages long, like the last one was).

Nancy Kaminski
nancykam -at- attbi -dot- com

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com