Re: Big bucks in tech writing - show me the money!

Subject: Re: Big bucks in tech writing - show me the money!
From: Bil Gladstone <admin -at- bcnexus -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:17:31 -0700

I'm not familiar with the US labour laws. My last job was with a large
national firm here in Canada. Only select (see below) personnel were
even _offered_ salaried positions; the rest were hourly, often
restricted to 37 hours for ROI reasons.

If you entertained any ambitions of advancement, or to become salaried
(the level at which you became eligible for Company Benefits), the core
criterion (with priority even above competence!) was that you got paid
for 40 hours, but you must work between 45 and 50 every week.

This "regulation" was unwritten and was never spoken aloud by
management. But it was cast in invisible granite, and all employees of
the firm were made (sometimes not so) subtly to understand and accept
this rule. Is it Legal? I doubt it. Can an employer get away with it in
the current economic and political climate? Absolutely.

> With regard to Hummer H2's, CL55's, etc., I opted to purchase the BMW 540i 6-speed.
I got a Mercedes Electric Bicycle. Does that count? :-}

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that slave labor was abolished in 1827.
See above.

Regards,
Bil Gladstone

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com