RE: Do choosy mother mothers choose GIF?

Subject: RE: Do choosy mother mothers choose GIF?
From: "Ward, Teri A" <teri -dot- a -dot- ward -at- pss -dot- Boeing -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:38:07 -0700

I pronounce it "jif" because I often use it with "jpeg"
to refer to web graphics ("We need to make sure all
of the 'jifs' and jpegs are resized ...")
The two j sounds simply sound better to me. So there
is the scientific reasoning for my choice.

My 0 cents worth
(these days, I'm holding on to my pennies)

Teri Ward
Seattle

I have never, ever, heard anyone pronounce 'Graphic Interchange Format' as
'jif' in the entire time the acronym has been around. Yet the web-site that
Mike kindly provided, clearly states how it's pronounced. Then again, when
Linux first became MAINSTREAM, STATE-OF-THE-ART (sorry Karen, couldn't
resist it) - there were two or three 'correct' ways to pronounce it. Even
Linus Torvalds' own recording on the Net, didn't end that debate.

Unfortunately, I tend to stick to the common lingo around me, and will carry
on pronouncing it (Graphic Interchange Format) as 'Giff'. This because
no-one I know, would understand the correct pronunciation. Also, I want to
avoid getting into silly battles with the few hot-heads out there who are
always right (and they pronounce it as 'Giff').

Bruce

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com