RE: Which class

Subject: RE: Which class
From: "Richard" <richard -dot- smith -at- windriver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:04:19 -0700

I think all of the advice given so far is great, and I'll go a step further
and say that if you do consider taking a class in programming, the language
you choose should probably based on what industry sector you plan to enter.
For example, C is still widely used in the embedded space. Java is widely
used in web applications and web services, C++ is still widely used for
native applications, Active server pages (which I beleive is based on VB) is
a popular language for dynamic web content delivery, .net framework is
gaining traction in a variety of places, with a variety of languages, and so
on.

So the bottom line is this: choose an industry sector you think you might
like and consider taking a class in the predominant language (if there is
one) for that sector.

Alternatively, I think the more academic approach (for high level languages)
is to start with C, and then move to an OO language such as Java, C++, or
C#. I suppose the logic is that you don't start learning about math by
taking a class on infinite series or nash equilibriums, so why start
learning programming on the latest rung of the evlotuionary ladder? This has
its benefits in that you'll learn things in C that may be skipped over in
other classes, such as linked lists, stacks, queues, pointers, etc. You may
not need these things, but understanding them is fundamental to a great many
computing concepts. Of course this path leads to more than one class
probably.

Something else to consider if you are in the SFbay. UCB extension offers a
tech writing class about programming languages geared for a TW audience.

I also like Bruce Eckel's books Thinking in Java, and Thinking in C++. Buy
'em read 'em and do the excercizes and I'll bet you have a greater
understanding than if you took three classes. Which leads to my final
point... and this is based entirely my own experience. Most programming
instructors suck. Sure there are some great ones, but they are outnumbered,
big time. Ask colleagues, other students etc. for recommendations for
instructors at the school you plan to attend.

--
Richard

| Probably Visual Basic.Some programmers like to dismiss it as
| not really
| a programming language at all.
|
| However, have you considered enhancing your skills in some
| other area?
| Knowledge of usability and interface design or typography are both
| skills that can be useful to a tech-writer - and would be
| more likely to
| appeal to someone "who doesn't like programming languages."

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com