Re: Better way to indicate a variable in doc

Subject: Re: Better way to indicate a variable in doc
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:26:25 -0700

johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com wrote:

> When there is a variable in the definition, it is represented by %s in the
> documentation. For example, "Port %s of %s is not answering calls;" in
> this case, the message sent to the administrator would read "Port 4 of 8
> is not answering calls"; or, "Your license expired on %s."

This is just a cut-and-paste from the code, where %s tells the I/O engine to expect a string of characters to go there. You might also see %d for an integer and other similar placeholders for variables. In some audiences, this is fine: for example, programmers will know exactly what is meant, and there's no need to do anything special.

In documentation for other audiences, you should find out what the variable represents and indicate it with a meaningful word or phrase. Your examples would look like this:

Port *portNumber* of *totalPorts* is not answering calls

Your license expired on *expirationDate*

The asterisks (*) indicate italics. I'd set the message in a monospace font and the variables in an italicized proportional font. This is a well established convention--note that I'm not saying universal, just well established--that your readers will understand.

This technique is particularly helpful with less verbose messages:

Unknown: *loginName*

Not found: *directoryName*

Try it!

--David

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com