Re: is anyone in a comparable scenario?

Subject: Re: is anyone in a comparable scenario?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:53:04 -0400

John,

I think the hardcopy is going to have to go away, because this is going to be one of those looseleaf binder with piles of uninserted change pages nightmares, but what I would suggest is this:

Make the TOC and each of the chapters a separate PDF. Put all the PDFs into a directory on the network. Use Acrobat Catalog (it's on the Tools menu in Acrobat) to create a searchable index on that directory, and schedule Catalog to run daily.

Teach the NOC folks to use Acrobat Search and to open the TOC PDF as the default entry point. That way, they can find whatever they want whichever way appeals to them.

With each update, new section, etc., you will have to regenerated the TOC PDF. The main thing is keeping the links up to date, and I assume FM can do that easily enough.

Dick

John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

>I have about 20 chapters in the book. The delivery is PDF and HC. No
>problem. The book has a TOC, but no index...please no discussion on how it
>should have one, the user said they don't care for one whether it was there
>or not, they would find stuff using electronic searching.
>
>Anyway...the problem is that sections are continually changing and new
>sections are being added all the time...maybe at the rate of a section every
>other day.
>
>Since this book is about 500 pages, to create and deliver a new book every
>other day is an ordeal.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com