Re: Resume citation for ex-companies

Subject: Re: Resume citation for ex-companies
From: Richard Lippincott <richard -dot- lippincott -at- ae -dot- ge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:10:59 -0400

Paul Strasser said:
> Rather an interesting take on this issue. Theory vs. practice.
>Happens all the time.

Bonnie Granat asked:
>I don't quite understand what you mean by "theory v. practice".

I think what Paul might have meant is this: we're basing this thread on the
theory that if our resume includes an entry of an obsolete company name, the
HR and hiring manager will hit a blank, automatically assume that we lied,
and reject the resume. Avoiding that is the whole point of this thread.

The practice...the reality...is this: the HR departments and hiring managers
are people who probably, on occasion, flip on the news or pick up a paper,
and thus are very possibly aware that in the past ten years we saw a huge
wave of mergers and acquisitions...and in the past two, we've seen a lot of
companies sink. Thus there's a fair chance that the HR and hiring managers,
if they hit this situation on the resume, will say "Yep, that happens all
the time. I understand."

And if they're such idiots that they don't consider this...and brand you a
liar for falsifying your resume, when they're simply too dense to recognize
that this is a common business situation...well, would you really want to
work for people like that? Personally, I'd -prefer- my resume end up in the
trash can if that's the type of manager reviewing it.

Theory vs. practice. We can get tied up in the "what if" when the reality is
that most people out there are smart enough to understand what is happening.

BTW, one other factor we're not considering: If the defunct company ever
issued stock, there's still a paper trail available that is accessible. A
few years ago, my grandparents passed away, and I took possession of a lot
of their old books and papers. As I was paging through a book, some stock
certificates fell out into my lap. They were dated circa 1915, were for a
company I'd never heard of.

I called my broker, gave her all the info from the certificates, she said
"Give me 24 hours." The next day she called back with the details, and had a
complete trail on this company from founding to it's ultimate demise in
1929. So, the data -is- out there.

--Rick Lippincott
Lockheed Martin
Saugus MA

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com