Re: Do you use your editors? was RE: wording for training materials

Subject: Re: Do you use your editors? was RE: wording for training materials
From: nayanikay -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:18:03 -0600

>This brings up a question or two for me. I have often heard anecdotes
>about editors who were nit picky or writers who ignored comments from
>others.
>Do you (the reader) use your editors (when you have them)? That is to
>say, do you find them generally useful or do you prefer to do your own
>editing? Do you see them as colleagues or as a nuissance?

True, writers generally take it personally when someone else edits. I
suppose one way to get around this would be if the organization defined
the editor's role, the workflow etc. clearly. Where I currently work,
there is one team member who does not channel his work thru me. It is up
to the Team Lead then to set up a process that will ensure that docs are
properly edited before being sent out.
And if editors are nitpicky, isn't that better than being lax? Writers
cannot afford to exercise their artisitc license when it comes to a
company's documentation especially in a product company.

>The writers are ignoring my edits.

As I said before, it is the Team Lead or whoever who then has to take up
the cudgel.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com