CVS and Word docs

Subject: CVS and Word docs
From: cwebber -at- seagull -dot- nl
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:57:42 -0600

Hi Everyone,

This list has been a source of ideas and a 'guide' for me for a long time
now!
I"ve got a question for all of you. I've tried to search through the
archives looking for CVS and docs and have come up with bits and pieces of
information. I'm hoping somone could shed more light on this.

I"M using Robohelp, and wondering whether CVS will be able to handle
binary files since according to the development mgr, CVS would buckle
under the weight of all the various docs that i have. I have no first hand
use of CVS and am relying so far on what other writers have experienced!

I am one of two writers and the amount of docs have grown so much that
version control is the only way to keep track of things!

I know that
-CVS is not a lock system.
-it will not update changes made to an rtf of word doc, therefore i have
to check out the rtf/doc, update it and if i wanted to merge any changes
i'd have to use Word's Merge Changes tool. Is this correct?
-Would CVS work perfectly with HTML (webhelp files?)? Currently only HTML
help is generated from Robo's Single Source tool.
-Will CVS cause any unforeseen problems when i check in/out .rtfs or
.docs?
-Can anyone tell me if there are any major problems i have to look out
for?

Thanks in advance.
Cheryl

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com