Re: cross reference updates in Word97

Subject: Re: cross reference updates in Word97
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:53:38 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure I follow on the Alt-F9 thing. I tried that and didn't see what you're talking about.

The problem comes when I change the referent, not the refernce. So,if the bulleted list member "AAAA" is refering to heading "AAAA", it doesn't update if I change the heading to "AAAA1". It breaks. I understand what you're saying with your example from Dreamweaver though. I've had the same experiences.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

"Whatever you do, do NOT let your editorial decisions be made by the squiggly spell-checking lines in Word!" ~Keith Cronin, Techwr-l irritant ;-)

--- "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net> wrote:
>Sean,
>
>Place the cursor at the end (where you know it is going to break the cross-reference). Then type Alt-F9 to show the field codes. You will see that the cursor is outside the field. That's the problem. If you move the cursor to the last character that is inside the field and then make your correction, it should work.
>
>I've run into an analogous situation in Dreamweaver. If I place the cursor at the end of, say, a paragraph, in the document window, and then look at where the cursor is in the HTML code window, it may turn out to be before the end tag or after the end tag, leading to unpredictable results when I edit in the document window. I suspect the same thing is happening to you in Word.
>
>Dick
>
>Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com> wrote:
>

>>I've noticed that when I change the heading by placing the cursor just to the right of the last letter in the heading, backspace to delete something then type in new text, the cross reference breaks. If I insert the cursor into the content of the heading, enter new text, then delete the stuff I don't want, the cross-reference updates fine. Anyone know why? Anyone know of a source that explains this?

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com