Re: Yahoo has no staff tech writers

Subject: Re: Yahoo has no staff tech writers
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:17:20 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
> > Were there such a word in existence as "nucular", I would pronounce it
> > just like Dubya.
>
> No, you wouldn't. There already is such a word, and you don't. In your
> dialect (and mine), that's not the way the word is pronounced.

I remember Pogo's strip on this, he called it new-clear physics.

When I was in college, most students and some professors said
new-cue-lar and yes they could spell it.

Which includes count'em physics.

I have a babytalk theory of linguistic drift that accounts for much
of this.

I love Dubya, but I do cringe a little when he says this.

I'll bet five out of four Texans say it the same.

I guess he decided that public speaking was a part of his responsibility to
respect the office. He sounds like a
different speaker than the toungue-tied Texan of a year ago. Even then, I
pointed out to my smarter brother that it
was rather illiberal to judge him entirely on the form rather than the
content of his comments, particularly when there is some dysTexia in our
family also. (and no, this is not a call for the reprint of the Clinton
tongueties [don't go there...] either.)

Brad Jensen

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com