Re: taking too long

Subject: Re: taking too long
From: Birgit Grossmann <bcg -at- bg-consulting -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:21:53 +0200

Hello William,

> I recently interviewed for a TW job where this was exactly how the
> development process worked. The writer was expected to wait until the
> software that she was documenting was complete - no engineering specs - and
> then figure out how the software worked by playing with it. She was
> expected to write a rough draft based on her guesses, submit the
> documentation for review, and then make the recommended changes over the
> weekend before the ship date.

Well... sounds like a lot of my jobs :) In fact, I am proud of my
ability to make as much as possible in as little as possible time with
very little infos, and so are usually my customers. BUT: The customers
have to be aware that the document is the best they can get _under
these conditions_, not the best possible of course!

<rant> How not even I can do that...
One ex-customer first was all enthusiastic about my working
methods, then delivered junks and bits of infos without giving me an
internet login for the software, then changed the software in between
and in the end stopped my work because he found I had not enough
technical insight into the product...
No need to say I was genuinely pissed about that one and quite happy
when the project was cancelled, even though I made a minus with it.
</rant>

All the best -

Birgit Grossmann

--
bcg -at- bg-consulting -dot- de
www.bg-consulting.de

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com