RE: Can you teach someone how to learn?

Subject: RE: Can you teach someone how to learn?
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:48:38 -0400

I'd like to focus on another aspect of Karen's post.

Most of the posts, so far, assume the existence of a
knowledgeable teacher and traditional teacher - student
roles.

Assume a room full of motivated people who need to teach
themselves how a piece of software works. Assume that you,
yourself, have no specific knowledge of the software in
question.

Are there guidelines, schemas or plans of action that you
could give them on how to learn this software on their own?
That is, are there "content-free" guidelines to becoming
an expert?

To ask it another way, are there tricks to such self-teaching,
and can those tricks be taught?

> Snip from: Wade Courtney --
> No, you can't teach someone to learn. People know how to
> learn, but using methods known only to them. The key is
> figuring out how someone learns then learning how to teach
> them in a way they can process information.

Wade Courtney makes an interesting point, but the point seems
to lead to a depressing conclusion: We have all learned how to
learn by stumbling around without guidance or technique until
we stumbled accidentally onto something that worked for us.

I hope there's a better approach.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

P.S. I know that an unmotivated learner cannot be taught, while
a motivated learner will learn despite bad teaching.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com