Re: German

Subject: Re: German
From: Janet Myers <myers032 -at- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:38:28 -0500

I have a friend who worked in China as a language "polisher," this may be an
option for your project. As a polisher, she translated the translations--a
non-native English speaker wrote the initial translation from Chinese and she
made the results understandable and readable for an American business
audience. I believe she had access to both the original writer and the
translator so she could verify information as needed.

Beena V Katekar wrote:

> So, what should be the concluding note to this Discussion?

and Michael Shea answered

Shea Michael EXT wrote:

> If I may summarize, if you are going to localize a product for the German
> market you should employ a native-speaker to translate terms, when
> appropriate (for example, do not translate commands that are not going to
> be translated in the software). It is unlikely you can gain native-speaker
> level of skill without decades of experience in the target language area,
> if ever. Preferrably the native-speaker with experience in your product
> field (for example a translator who is knowledgable about terms in the
> semiconductor field might make a muddle of product which is destined for
> the insurance industry). A final note was an attempt to clarify that German
> is actually spoken in countries other than just Germany and though a
> professional translator would undoubtedly use standard high German (hoch
> deutsch) if you chose a translator from a region with a strong dialect your
> readers might notice. The last comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
>
> Summarily,
>
> Michael Shea
> XpressLink Documentation
> c/o ICN AS BA ST2

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com