RE: HOTTEST TOOLS MAN!

Subject: RE: HOTTEST TOOLS MAN!
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:51:21 -0700

> Back when FrameMaker released an SGML version (its seems only
> 7 yrs ago) I recall the buzz in technical communications.
> "SGML is where the industry is going"...hmmmm...years later...

They were right but not quite. SGML (which might also stand for "sounds
good, maybe later") didn't catch on, but its subset XML has been raging like
a summer wildfire. It's increasing wide use (seems like there isn't a coding
corner where it hasn't been applied in some way) supports its viability as a
platform (way beyond a tool) for documentation.

You hit the nail on the head when you talked about WYSIWYG, though. XML is
about data so it doesn't lend itself to a WYSIWYG like HTML, which is about
display. The Frame 7 approach does seem a step closer but I've haven't
played with it.

It seems that if tech pubs want XML for documentation, tech writers in
general need to wean themselves from reliance on WYSIWYG tools and learn how
to dig into the code.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com