Re: techwr-l digest: October 03, 2002

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: October 03, 2002
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 17:01:38 -0700 (PDT)

"Shavon Walker" wrote

> OK, folks, here's my dilemma. I'm an English major with an MA in Literature. I
> worked for 2 years as a technical writer, then lost my job. Looking around at
> other tech writer jobs, I realize that a majority of them ask for programs that
> I don't know--Visio, Dreamweaver, and so on. SF State and Cal State Hayward are
> schools close to me; should I go back and get a certificate in technical
> writing, which wouldn't necessarily teach me all those programs but would give
> me the basics? Or should I just keep looking?

www.ebay.com

Buy em used, learn 'em. I sold off a copy of FrameBaker and RoboHelp last year
for cheap.

Tell employers "yeah I know that" and just be prepared to show your stuff.

Tools are extremely easy to learn. Anybody can learn Visio. Its what you can
produce with Visio that people really care about. So learn the technologies and
topics you're documenting.

Andrew Plato

http://faith.yahoo.com

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com