RE: portfolio

Subject: RE: portfolio
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:28:49 -0500

Hi James,

In my opinion (since you ask), go ahead and reduce the screen down to fit on
a landscape letter-sized page. I would even go so far as to purchase some
glossy photo paper to get a nice clean image. The fact that the text will
not be legible is not terribly important (IMNHO). Provide the sample screens
as testimony to your abilities in layout. Legible text would only get in the
way. (The existence of the Ipsum Lorem text attests to that.) The other
material in your portfolio will support your claim to be a good writer (or
not).

If you want to show that you can differentiate between writing for bound, or
print, material and online then create a small postcard (again, showing your
layout abilities) that has a list of the URLs that you want to show. That
allows the person to go see the site on their own time. You could even mail
the postcard prior to the interview so that the person could see it before
you walked in. However, I would not personally do that!

In addition to the postcard, burn a CD of your web site(s). Take this CD
with you to the interview. I always do this, as a friend of mine had an
important presentation to make, and when he got up to do it the company's
web servers crashed and he was stuck. I learned from that and now if I go
into an interview and their server is down, no big deal, I have it on CD.

The postcard (to get back to it) is a little give away that is different,
can be tacked to a bulletin board for later use (you can even suggest that
they tack it up for later when they have some free time - this gets it up in
front of their eyes all day long), and provides more space than a little
business size card that would getlost in the thousands and millions of cards
that they get.

Just my 2¢

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - t
Technical Writer | 719.623.7431 - f
Datalogics inc. | www.datalogics.com

"Some drink at the fountain of knowledge.
Others just gargle."

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com