Re: Help me find the right tool

Subject: Re: Help me find the right tool
From: Jeff Hanvey <jeff -at- jewahe -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 05:37:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dreamweaver, so long as you're using the site management feature, gives lot of nice automated features, such as checking links, et cetera, across the site. The management tool makes it easy to find pages, move them, and update them. If you're not familiar with these features, then you should probably take a course or get a book (I've heard that the Dreamweaver Bible is good).

However, it sounds like you're creating a structured help that uses a lot of subtopics. In this case, I'd suggest something like RoboHelp, despite your statement that you can't use HTML help (which I'm not sure is valid, since all HTML help is is a structured Website. I've seen "Help" style webpages out there - they are fairly easy to create and maintain. Perhaps you should give one a chance). Even with web-based applications, you should be able to easily integrate the help at the code level, so that you can even make use of context-sensitive help, et cetera (at a previous job, I worked with a web-based java application that had the help built in).

AuthorIT might also be helpful. For a help-authoring package, the stand alone is relatively inexpensive ($199 for a single workstation, $499 for up to four workstations), but very powerful. It has a word-like interface to write topics in, but uses the topic structure similar to RoboHelp. The good thing is that you can create many different outputs - HTML, Help, Doc, et cetera.

Use the trial versions to see which one gives you the flexibility you need.

Robohelp: http://www.ehelp.com
AuthorIt: http://www.authorit.com/

Jeff

BTW, I am not affiliated with either ehelp/Robohelp or AuthorIT software (just a satisfied user).

--- Selene_Castilla -at- e-strategia -dot- com wrote:
>I'm looking for some advice in wich is the best tool to
>do this, if someone can give me a hint I'll be very thankful.
>
>:)
>
>selene castilla
>media developer

Jeff Hanvey: http://www.jewahe.net

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com