Re: Having a killer resume

Subject: Re: Having a killer resume
From: "Jo Francis Byrd" <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:55:54 -0500

While on the search for the elusive contract, I decided to get on with a
resume writing outfit. Took me all of two seconds to realize it was a resume
mill (aside: did you know there is an association of professional resume
writers/preparers?), but the color of money is green, it's not illegal or
unethical, and I'm not THAT proud. One of the requirements was passing a
test. I didn't - even though I'm a "talented writer." Curious, I asked what
I'd done wrong, or rather, hadn't done right. Somewhat to my surprise, the
person responded with a critique (for which I thanked her, never mind I
didn't agree with her).

It was interesting, to say the least. It's fueled by what HR types want to
see, and there is a very specific format. Starting with that BS objective.
Mine, BTW does not follow that format, and I've been told by numerous
recruiters/HR types/hiring managers that I have a "very impressive" resume.

Wasn't a wasted experience, though. Gained some insight, and I was able to
help a friend. She'd been laid off, and part of the package was career
assistance with an outsourcing group who wanted her to redo her VERY nice
resume in guess what format! Fortunately, I was able to persuade her to
ignore their cookie-cutter format and use the one she already had, just
refined it a little.

Jo Byrd