RE: Having a killer resume

Subject: RE: Having a killer resume
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:17:18 -0500

janine -dot- bland -at- marsh -dot- com wrote:

As someone who also looks at a lot of tech writer resumes, I can tell you
I cannot stand seeing an objective at the top of a resume. Your objective
is getting the job you are applying for.

Bruce wrote:

I used to think the same way.However, recently I've heard it argued that
the point of an objective is to give a concise summary of why the
company should hire you.

Jason replies:

I do not like objectives because they lie. "Objective: To apply my writing
skills in a challenging environment that promotes growth". Okay, fine. We
got that. And by the way, we pay nothing. But, as we fulfilled your
objective, you should be fine with that. Right? Probably not.

As Janine said, your objective is getting the job you are applying for. As I
see it, my objective is to make money. That may sound crass, but it is the
truth. I have a house, car, family, and hobbies to support. Gotta get the
green.

Now, I have two options: I can pursue a job/career that interests me that I
enjoy, that is challenging, and that makes money, or I can pursue one that
makes money whether I enjoy it or not. I tend to apply for jobs that fall
into the first category. If I had to, I would take a job in the second
category. In either case, I would put forth the effort needed to succeed at
that job ("why, Jason, these are the best french frys we have ever seen")
because that is just the way I am.

But, Bruce brings up a valid point. They are often used as a concise summary
of why the company should hire you. However, wouldn't that information be
best put in the cover letter? That is how I see it--the cover letter is the
sell job, even reiterating the relevent info in your resume, and the resume
is the record of fact--what you have done, what skills you have, etc.
Supporting info for you claims in the cover letter.

Opinions? Am I way off base here? (Yes, sometimes cover letters don't make
it on the resume rounds--always bring an extra to the interview).

Jason

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com