RE: techwr-l digest: September 28, 2002

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: September 28, 2002
From: "Christopher Burd" <cburd -at- islandnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 11:40:35 -0700

"Scarratt, Brian" <Brian -dot- Scarratt -at- Nextel -dot- com> wrote:

>Has anyone ever had to transfer the contents of a word document to an
>excel spreadsheet before? I haven't and would appreciate any advice or
>recomendations on where to find information on how to do this.

I've done this a few times. Assuming you just want to bring
the text across (I don't recommend anything more ambitious),
save the Word document as "Text Only with Line Breaks", then
open the resulting .TXT file in Excel. The text will appear in
Column A, one line per cell.

You'll lose paragraphing, of course; if that's important, add
a blank line between each paragraph before saving the .TXT.

Tables will be treated as if each table cell were a consecutive
paragraph. If you want to retain table structure, convert
each table to tab-limited text before saving the .TXT. In
that case Excel will place the first column of each table
in Column A, the second in column B, etc.

I hope these hints actually address what you want to do
with your document.

Cheers,

Chris Burd
Catchword Information Design Ltd.
Victoria, BC

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com