RE: Viva le Same! Linux

Subject: RE: Viva le Same! Linux
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:51:38 -0600

I had the chance a few years ago, to install and maintain a Linux server in
an institution. Within 8 hours of it up and running, it was already being
commandeered (for bandwidth I hope) from outside. What a scare, definitely
not for the faint of heart. We were thankful that there was nothing
confidential sitting on that server, or that it was networked to the main
servers. Never had a problem after Windows NT Server was installed over it.

Linux and Unix work great, but you have to know what your doing. With
'Windows', it's more designed for people like myself, who want something
that's as simple as 'load' and 'leave.'

Bruce

Andrew Plato wrote:

> Furthermore, most casual users of Linux products lack the
> knowledge (and the
> software) to secure their systems. Many users of Linux leave the
> FTP services
> installed with no password protection. This is really no
> different than casual
> Windows users who do dumb things like install IIS and then never patch the
> machine.
>
> Moreover, what platform do you think most (good) hackers use?
> Windows? No, they
> use Linux or BSD. Most (good) hackers have no idea how the
> inner-workings of
> Windows servers work. But they know Linux up down and sideways.
> Which means they
> are many times more likely to be able to find new holes in Linux
> than Windows.

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com