Re: Job market and potential age discrimination?

Subject: Re: Job market and potential age discrimination?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:10:34 -0400

Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646) wrote:

<<<Answers the second question (length) but not the first. My resume is
certainly not poorly organized, but it is complete. I actually cut it down
quite a bit a couple of years ago then went back to the more complete
version. At that time almost all the jobs I was going for came through
contracting houses. They were interested in complete information. The
shorter version left out too much experience that might have been pertinent
for a specific job.

The fact that I have done TSO help panels probably is not competitive in 98%
of the jobs, but just having that fact there might hit that one job that the
contracting house was trying to fill that week.>>>

-------------------------------------

Some people find it useful to conflate several jobs into one listing in
their chronological resumes, especially if they were contracts. Doing that
allows them to include meaty information about their experience that might
be otherwise absent from a chronological resume that includes only the last
10-15 years, for example. A resume can actually include more years than
that, but do it in a way that emphasizes the content of the work rather than
the time period. If you have a good deal of experience, which it sounds as
if you do, this technique might be useful. While my resume is hardly
outstanding in any way except perhaps for its dearth of technical experience
of the kind that would help me get work in the present economy, I did use
that technique in one listing, so you might want to take a look.

Also, if you need someone to review your resume, I'm available.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com