RE: Drafts and the larger leadership picture.

Subject: RE: Drafts and the larger leadership picture.
From: "Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646)" <Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:56:39 -0700

<<
Steven Oppenheimer wrote:

> Some people in the thread have said that, as technical writers, we need
> to educate our bosses. I don't accept that assertion either. I'm a
> writer, not a business school professor.

And Bruce Byfield replied:

I understand your attitude. In a perfect world, you wouldn't have to
educate people about your job. But, realistically, what choice do you
have? Very few people know anything about the nature of writing, and, as
I've said in other posts today, experience has taught many managers not
to trust tech-writers. These problems are irksome, but, unfortunately,
they won't go away by refusing to face them.

Also many managers, project leaders, and developers in my company have *never* worked with a technical writer at all. They have no idea how to incorporate technical writing skills into any given project. If I were to refuse to educate them, I wouldn't even get the opportunity to work with them. Educating those I work with about how to incorporate technical writing into their projects is NOT akin to being a "business school professor". It is merely good communication, self preservation, and professionalism.

Rosie Wilcox

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com