Re Getting a job as beginning tech writer & Job Market In The Next 6 Months

Subject: Re Getting a job as beginning tech writer & Job Market In The Next 6 Months
From: "Andrew T. Brooke" <abrooke -at- pathcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:07:45 -0400

I'm responding to both these posts below because they are somewhat related.

Re: Getting a job as beginning tech writer

Read "What Color is Your Parachute" by Richard Bolles, the greatest
career-hunting guide book ever.

It can be summed up as follows:

1. Know what you want to do (know your passion and kinds of tech writing you
like to do).
2. Go to the places you can do it (research, network, make contacts and find
the companies that interest YOU).
3. Show them what you can do (get an interview, even if there is no job
posting and show them before their eyes what you have done).

This method of job hunting has about a 75% success rate, more than all the
other methods COMBINED, i.e. want ads, internet, headhunters, etc. In
short - IT WORKS.

It also helps to have a kick-ass resume & cover letter. Read some good books
on this, like the Dummies ones. Follow the links to my site below if you
want to see my resume - I've had tremendously successful results with it.

I myself was laid off last month. Despite a somewhat depressed job market in
Toronto (although things are picking up a bit), I got 2 interviews at 2
companies and would probably have had 1 or 2 more but received an offer
after less than one month of searching. I'm not trying to brag - I only have
4 years experience as a writer - but feel I have a good resume and good
interviewing skills, which are critical.

Don't be too hung up on "when the recovery will be". Instead, focus on what
you want to do and develop a plan for finding the places you can do it. Go
to those places and show them your magic!

Good luck!

Andrew

Andrew T. Brooke, B. Tech.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Email: abrooke -at- pathcom -dot- com
Web: http://www.compuquick-consulting.com/techwriting
Phone: 416 633-5709
"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."
W. Clement Stone

> From: "D M" <daisymay_fl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
> Subject: Getting a job as beginning tech writer

> Could someone please give me some pointers on getting a job as a beginning
> tech writer. I am unemployed and really want to know what I can do to
> improve my situation!

> Subject: Job Market In The Next 6 Months
> From: R D <jaguarjamus -at- yahoo -dot- com>

> Any idea if the job market for tech writers will be
> improving in the next 6 months? I keep hearing that a
> recovery is "2 quarters away." I know company
> earnings, especially in technology, have yet to
> rebound.

> Any thoughts from those in the field? What's the mood
> at your companies? (Those that have jobs!)

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com