RE: Getting a job as beginning tech writer

Subject: RE: Getting a job as beginning tech writer
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:27:27 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: D M [mailto:daisymay_fl -at- hotmail -dot- com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 2:18 PM
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Getting a job as beginning tech writer

Dear List,

Could someone please give me some pointers on getting a job as a beginning
tech writer. I am unemployed and really want to know what I can do to
improve my situation!

-----Response Message-----

First...Knowing how to write really well isn't going to do it. Knowing
something REALLY well to write about is.

Learn a technology or an industry. Get a REAL certification...something like
MCSE or SME-level in-depth knowledge of relational databases.

CRM (customer relationship management) and EAI (enterprise application
integration
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/fe/xml/02/02/25/020225feintro.xml) are
pretty hot right now...at least that's what my current and previous gigs
were about, accounting for about 18 months of work.

Become proficient with XML as it applies to real-business applications, such
as SAP.

The bottom line...saying you are experienced with anything that you write
WITH (FM, Word, html, etc (except XML) will not get their attention. Saying
you are experienced with anything that you write ABOUT will.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
"Be accurate...the 4am wakeup call you prevent could be your manager's"

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com