AW: Legislation covering User Manuals

Subject: AW: Legislation covering User Manuals
From: Ballenberger Gerd <gerd -dot- ballenberger -at- siemens -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:29:06 +0200

Now I had to read the original post...

An EU background can be assumed, as MANY regulations that we feel we don't
need or want originate from Brussels, the EU headquarters.

But apart from this political side which I don't want to enter here, the
original post said

<start clip from original post>
>From another list(techwriter -at- yahoogroups -dot- com):

> You mention you call a text a "User Manual and which fulfills all
> legal requirements to be called this". I have not heard of legal
> definitions. Can you point us to where these are described? Even if

Here in Germany we have a "new" law since the start of the year. It says
that the customer _always_ (and that means ALWAYS) can give back the machine
if
-he does not understand the manual (this is a very wide definition - and it
gives us some headaches)
-the manual is misleading
-the descriptions are not clear enough
and so on.
<end clip from original post>

and that's too little to draw any conclusions from. I don't know this
regulation, and I believe it's just an nth-level interpretation of what
somebody heard somebody thinks he understood.

Let's get back to the source, or just ignore it, I'd recommend.

Best regards,
Gerd Ballenberger
Siemens Medical Solutions, Erlangen, Germany