Re: More on drafts --

Subject: Re: More on drafts --
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:52:58 -0700 (PDT)

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote ...

> It is fundamentally wrong to misrepresent how you are going to judge my
> work. If you are the kind of person that enjoys entrapping people in the
> workplace, you are gaining some payoff for what you do.

If you turn in work that is utter drek, then its likely you will be judged
different than if you turn in sparkling perfection. How you are judged is
ultimate in your control. Do good work and people will judge you fairly. Do crap
work and expect to be judged harshly.

It seems to me that you are asking the court to render a judgment a case before
the evidence is presented. That?s not how it works.

> A matter such as when and how my work product will be evaluated is hardly a
> minor or secondary matter. It is crucial to the operation of the
> organization, and there is no excuse for it not been stated clearly at the
> outset of employment, or at least within the first week or two.

Let me ask you something: While in an interview with a prospective employer, do
you demand that ALL job expectations and a clear map of how you will be judged be
provided to you at the time of hire? Do you insist on a comprehensive set of
criteria from your new employer on how they will judge you?

Because, if you don't then aren't you misrepresenting the basis by which YOU will
judge the employer, and as such - isn't that UNETHICAL by your own reasoning.

> No, not EVERY expectation, but just the basic ones that exist, such as
> whether I am expected to deliver drafts to my boss. This is the single most
> basic job expectation that has to be explained to a new employee on the
> first day.

WHOA...we're backing up here. Now we're down to "just the basic ones." Well, now
this is a new story. "Just the basic ones" could leave out a lot of expectations.
And therefore, you may be judged on those.

Bonnie, I know what you're digging at here. You want to know how to do your job
so they can't hold your feet to the fire later. That's a pretty deep CYA complex.
CYA is not how professionals work. Its how bureaucrats and politicians work.

The fact is things change. And if you can't handle change, then you shouldn't get
involved with organizations that change a lot. Its just that simple.

Andrew Plato

http://sbc.yahoo.com

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com