RE: More on drafts --

Subject: RE: More on drafts --
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:27:21 -0400

::: It is unethical to examine a document as if it were the
::: work product without
::: notifying the employee that drafts are going to be so viewed.
:::
::: It really *is* a question of ethics, to me.

Not in my opinion. I think it's more a question of tact and reason.
Let's face it, it's not "the writer's" desk, and it's not "the writer's"
document. It is up for analysis at ANY point in time by ANY person
employed by the company, period. And, just as a manager can order a
cube/office packed and cleared at any point in time, that same manager
has the right to enter that cube/office and inspect company property.

Personally, I think the manager could have used more tack in his/her
approach to the draft, and really should have asked for it. Then again,
we only know the writer's side of the story, so who knows what really
happened (not that I'm calling the writer a liar or a fraud, but let's
face it, we really don't know either way).

So, was it in the manager's right to do what he/she did? Yes. Was it
done with proper tact and in sound reasoning? Probably not.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867
wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com