Re: Like I mean: "Grammar Stinks."

Subject: Re: Like I mean: "Grammar Stinks."
From: "Doc" <doc -at- vertext -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:21:09 -0400

Hi --
Don't forget that the ampersand "&" is the abbreviation of "Et" Latin for
"and". Also the "Y" in Ye Olde Codger Shoppe is actually a letter called the
"thorn" which is an abbreviation for the "th" diphthong and should be
pronounced that way.

-Doc

"Bruce Byfield" <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote in message
news:169478 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Many of the practices that people are decrying are simply abbreviations
> and variations in spelling.Both these practices are long-standing.
>
> I personally know of abbreviations in tenth century manuscripts (for
> example, "Xmas" and ">" for "and"), and I suspect that abbreviations are
> as old as writing.

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com