Re: Grammar: appear or appears?

Subject: Re: Grammar: appear or appears?
From: "Ruby Isaacs" <ruby -at- quendi -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:06:25 -0400

The interface states:
Step 1: [The text here varies depending on the user's input on the previous page of the Web-based tool.]
Step 2: [The text here varies depending on the user's input on the previous page of the Web-based tool.]
Step 3: [The text here varies depending on the user's input on the previous page of the Web-based tool.]
Step 4: [The text here varies depending on the user's input on the previous page of the Web-based tool.]

The only constant text on that page of the interface is "Step 1:", "Step 2:", "Step 3:", and "Step 4:"
After they correctly complete a part of the procedure in the online help, I tell the user that:
"Step 1" to "Step 4" appear on the new page.

Ruby