Re: Like I mean: "Grammar Stinks."

Subject: Re: Like I mean: "Grammar Stinks."
From: "Jo Francis Byrd" <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:36:20 -0500

Teachers can go a long way in stifling "Instant Messenger Speak" in papers
by informing students up front that formal papers MUST be written in
correct, grammatical <language of whatever country it is> and coming down
hard when grading if the students use Instant Messenger Speak.

Sorta like (she added with a sly snicker at using "like") when my kids were
little; took me forEVER to eradicate "gots" from their vocabularies. About
the time I'd think I'd finally succeeded it would rear its ugly head again,
but the day came when they FINALLY stopped using "gots"! Guess they got
tired of me saying, "excuse me?" every time they did and making they phrase
the sentence correctly.

Jo Byrd