RE: RoboDemo

Subject: RE: RoboDemo
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:37:39 -0700

Darren Barefoot wrote:

| I've recently done an evaluation of both RoboDemo and its upstart
| start-up competitor ViewletBuilder.

I've also compared these products. I quibble with your description of
Viewlet Builder as the "upstart start-up competitor," though. Viewlet
Builder has been around for at least 4 or 5 years and is very much the
more mature of the two products. eHelp, with RoboDemo, entered this
market only a few months ago.

| They both do the job well enough, but
| ViewletBuilder just seemed easier to use.

I agree that Viewlet Builder is easier to use and would add that it
seems to have quite a bit more functionality than RoboDemo. After
comparing the two tools, we have selected Viewlet Builder for use on
both internal and client projects.

| <FromQarbon>
|
| We were doing what we do years before RoboDemo came along, and we've
| even been awarded some pretty profound patents in this area that
| substantiate this position.
| http://www.qarbon.com/news/press_room/2002.08.06.html
|
| You should also know the genesis of RoboDemo: eHelp bought a shareware
| program from an Australian developer, changed the name and tacked an
| expensive price on (10 times the original price) without improving
the
| product in any substantial way.

This is true. At the time, there was a lengthy discussion about it on
the HATT list, all of it available in that list's archives
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hatt).

Regards,

David Knopf / Knopf Online / San Francisco, CA
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com / http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training on FrameMaker, WebWorks Publisher & WordHelp
WebWorks Publisher Certified
Consulting & Training on RoboHelp * RoboGURU
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wordhelp & wwp-users

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com